The interviews from day 2 of the America’s Cup World Series in Gothenburg!
But what went down in the racing?
It was a complete mix up on yesterday with local team Artemis Racing coming back from a capsize on the practice race day, and running aground yesterday to take a bullet in race one. Emirates Team NZ finished in second, levelling the scores for the weekend between the Kiwis, Oracle Team USA, and Land Rover BAR.
Emirates Team New Zealand helm, Burling, current Moth World Champ, and 49er World Champ (and on 17 straight wins in the class with ETNZ crewmate Blair Tuke including the Olympics test event) handled the pressure the best, nailing the lighter conditions as predicted by his skipper Glenn Ashby yesterday (watch interviews from yesterday). Congratulations guys!
The win in race 4 for the series gave them the regatta overall, with Oracle Team USA in second, and winner of the first event in Portsmouth, Land Rover BAR in third.
With various race winners, and no clear domination from any one team, I can’t wait to see the action at the next event in Bermuda come October! Emirates Team NZ, Oracle Team USA and Land Rover BAR are all on the same playing field for the overall America’s Cup World Series.
– Dean Barker, SoftBank Team Japan about the team’s second in the last race today
– Paul Campbell-James, Land Rover BAR on the consistency of the team and whether this is their secret to slick crew handling
– Ben Ainslie, Land Rover BAR covering gear changing and the speed loss in race 4 today
– Jimmy Spithill, Oracle Team USA about what is to come for the team, the next “home” event in Bermuda and feelings on two seconds in a row
– Pete Burling, Emirates Team NZ on his first America’s Cup event win, the Moth, the 49er – seriously an awesome competitor across the board.
That’s all from me from Europe… Wow… What a ride.
More to come,
Sailor Girl x