The launch of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race (RSHYR) for 2015 was held today at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia.
I took the opportunity to catch up with Mark Richards (Richo) multiple overall winner handicap and line honours with Wild Oats XI (WOXI), Roger Hickman (Hicko), last year’s overall winner, and Shane Kearns (Kearnsie), the winner of the Sydney Gold Coast race ahead of Boxing Day.
Chat on all things RSHYR, including the WOXI “nose job” and what really makes an overall winner.
A few stats:
– 110 entries
– 6 former overall winners
– 28 international entries, including entries for the first time from China (2)
– 4 super maxis; Wild Oats XI, Comanche, Team Ragamuffin, and Perpetual Loyal
– Other maxis include Rambler 88, and the V70 Maserati
– 10 TP52s, a record for the class in this race
– The eldest boat is 80 years old, there are a handful of brand new boats (including the new Concubine a Mills 45 from SA and Avalanche, a Hick 40 from VIC), and some have had major makeovers, including WOXI.
Enough stats, here are the interviews…
Thanks for joining the adventures – Sailor Girl xx